Thursday 28 March 2013

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes.

 
Do you ever find that some things are just too sweet, sickly and chocolaty? Yeah, no me neither! These cupcakes are gorgeous! I use Hayley Tamaddon's (an actress who used to be in my beloved Emmerdale and who also won Dancing on Ice) chocolate fudge cake recipe from the Celebrity Britain's Best Dish. It is the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted and so, rich and moist! The trick is to include sour cream in your chocolate cake recipe, it makes perfect chocolate cake and somehow, and I don't really know why, but, it makes a gorgeous light, moist sponge and enhances the chocolate flavour. Thank you sour cream!
 
I decided to convert her cake recipe into cupcakes though so, I filled them with her rich chocolate ganache topping and then topped them with her sweet, sugary chocolate coffee fudge cream filling. I then scattered over some tiny fudge pieces as I thought it would look quite cute. I bought these tiny fudge pieces from Sainsbury's for I think it was £1.39 which, is quite expensive really so feel free to buy proper fudge and then just crumble it up or chop it up into tiny pieces as I would imagine that would work out cheaper. I was just a bit lazy but then after making three different components to make this one lovely cupcake I think that can be forgiven.
 
If you are a chocolate lover like myself and have the time then please give them a go as they are so yummy and if you do try them I hope you enjoy them!
 
Recipe - makes 12 cupcakes
 
Chocolate Cake
110g (4oz) butter at room temperature
220g (8oz) dark brown sugar
2 eggs
165g (6oz) self raising flour
55g (2oz) cocoa
½  tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
140ml (1/4pint) sour cream
Chocolate Ganache Filling
200g (7oz) dark chocolate
140ml (1/4 pint) double cream
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Chocolate Coffee Fudge Frosting
 (5oz) Butter, at room temperature
165g (6oz) icing sugar
½ tsp ground coffee beans
Few drops vanilla essence
2tbsp cocoa powder

 
 
 
Method
 
Oven – 180°c.
You will need 1x 12 hole cupcake tray.
 
Place 12 cake cases in he cupcake tin.
 
For the cake, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric whisk. Gradually beat in the eggs. Add the sour cream. Sieve together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Fold in to the mixture.
 
Divide the mixture between the cake cases and bake for 15 minutes or until risen and just firm to touch. 
 
For the ganache filling, warm the milk on a low temperature until hot. Remove rom the heat and add the broken up chocolate stirring constantly until melted. Make the cocoa into a paste by adding hot water. Add the cocoa to the melted chocolate and leave to cool.
 
Meanwhile, make the frosting. Sieve icing sugar, coffee and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter and mix together until creamy. Add a few drops of vanilla essence. (If you don't like coffee flavours then just leave it out as the frosting still tastes lovely without.)
 
Once the cakes are cooled, dig out a hole from each cupcake using an apple corer
 

Put 2 tsps. chocolate ganache filling in each.
 
 
Put 2 tsps. of the frosting on top of each and use a pallet knife to smooth over and decorate with the fudge pieces.











 
Thankyou for reading!
Love Courts x
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, so making these when I go back home! Look lush! x

    ReplyDelete