Tuesday 30 October 2012

Marshmallow Cupcakes.

 
I am writing this while watching last weeks Red Dwarf episode so lets see how this turns out. I love Red Dwarf and the Cat is hilarious, I'm really glad it's come back. I decided to make Marshmallow cupcakes this week in practise for christmas again as I was hoping to make them for my two little cousins and my little nephew instead of the Black Forest Gateau ones I am making for the adults. I've never been a fan of marshmallows though but, these cupcakes looked really sweet in my cupcake cook book so I decided to make them anyway.
 
As a vegetarian I also had to order some special vegan marshmallows from ebay as all the ones in the shop were made with gelatine. They were quite expensive but, they were actually really yummy and my mum who is also not a big fan of marshmallows actually said she much preferred the veggie ones to normal marshmallows.
 
These marshmallow cupcakes are very sweet and really tasty. The cream topping is gorgeous and the sponge is lovely and soft. However, I was a little dissapointed with the overall finish and didn't think they looked as professional and cute as in the book. I need to work on the topping if I'm going to make them for christmas and I'm also going to add a bit of festive sparkle with some edible silver glitter if I do make them. I also had to top them with ordinary pink marshmallows this time as I ran out of the vegetarian ones but that would be fine for the boys and I just pick them off too. I think the shop I bought the veggie vanilla marshmallows from on ebay also sells some pink strawberry flavoured ones too though if I did want to make them completely veggie.

 
Recipe

50g marshmallows
125g butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping-
75g marshmallows, plus extra chopped pieces to scatter
300ml double cream





Method

1. Line a 12 section bun tray with paper cupcake cases and cut the marshmallows into pieces using kitchen scissors.
2. Put all the remaining cake ingredients in a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk for about a minute until light and creamy. Stir in the marshmallow pieces and then divide the cake mixture between the cupcake cases.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 15 minutes or until risen and just firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. Cut the marshmallows for the topping into small pieces and put about a third in a small saucepan with half the cream. Heat very gently until melted. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool.
5. Whip the remaining cream in a bowl until just holding its shape. Stir in the marshmallow cream and remaining marshmallow pieces, then pile on to the cakes. Finally, scatter with extra chopped marshmallow pieces to serve. Waalaaa!

 
Thankyou for reading!
Love Courts x

No comments:

Post a Comment