Monday 8 October 2012

Thai Peanut Noodles.

 
A busy week but, a very lazy weekend. Last week I had my two induction days at Sainsburys on Thursday and Friday which, were incredibly long. 9 hours long infact :O. I had no idea how tiring sitting still and watching videos for 9 hours could be. My body even ached from just sitting which, is a litle bit odd and also slightly worrying. I'm not sure it bodes that well for my 20 hours of shelf-stacking this week either but nevermind. The staff seem lovely though which is nice but, I am rather nervous about starting now as I think all the night shift staff are male which, makes me worry a little incase I'm really weak and slow at filling the shelves compared to them :/. What if I can't even push the trolley out onto the shop floor? I have visions of them all being bulky and towering over the top of me and my tiny 5ft4 frame. I can barely reach the second shelf let alone the top one and there will be no lifting of heavy sacks of potatoes for me. Even those tiny new potato bags are going to have to go in one at a time. You never know until you try though so, I have to be a bit more optimistic and fingers crossed I will do alright :).

I just had a nice, incredibly lazy weekend to recover though after my two days of 6am starts. There has been lots of TV catch-ups with the new Red Dwarf which was brilliant. The Cat is hilarious. Two Supernatural episodes which were amazing too as usual. Supernatural is my favourite show and I love Sam and Dean. Everybody loves Sam and Dean. Although, I seem to be having lots of nightmares at the moment so this weeks Supernatural clown episode didn't help. How terrifying are clowns? How they are allowed to entertain children I don't know. They are so scary and creepy. I watched some Strictly too which was fun as I didn't watch it at all last year. I love Lisa, she is amazing and just made me smile. I also watched Final Destination 5 which, although many people would say the films are always rubbish I actually normally quite like them but this one was pretty terrible. Normally you like the characters at least so you really don't want them to die and thats what gets you a bit more engrosed in the film as you sit there hoping that they are somehow going to survive even though you know they won't as noboby ever does. This time all of the characters are quite annoying though so you don't get that. Not that the fact they are annoying makes you want them to die :/, obviously you still don't wish them to die. I think I'm sounding a bit like a crazy person so I'm going to stop.

Yesterday I watched some Downton and the X Factor results too. I'm not enjoying Downton as much this year as I don't think the storylines are very exciting at the moment. Mum wasn't happy with me telling her this though as she was avidly watching and threatened to send me to my room if I continued to ruin her Downton experience. As for the X Factor; Louis is such an idiot, I can't believe he put her through and then changed his mind. She even celebrated which is awful. I hadn't watched any this year until Saturday and I already can't believe Rylan is in it. He's terrible and can't sing at all but nevermind, the X factor seems to like those kinds of contestants.

I am not a big fan of these dull days at the minute either, sometimes its nice to be all snug and warm indoors while it's all chilly and rainy outside but, at the moment I'm finding it a bit too gloomy and it makes me feel constantly tired which is horrible. On Saturday though I did cook this delicious meal; Peanut Noodles, Stir Fry and Vegetable Spring rolls. Yum. I love chinese and thai, and spring rolls and peanut butter are two of my favourite foods so, this meal can really do no wrong for me.

Today will actually have a peanut butter theme as I am also going to post my gorgeous Chocolate and Peanut Butter cupcake recipe later too. As I have said before, I adore peanut butter and most of the recipes I make at the moment seem to have at least some peanut butter element to them so maybe I should try and conquer this addiction.  I'm a little bit obsessed. Having said that it has led me to this lovely recipe. My peanut butter noodles recipe comes largely from my Skippy Peanut Butter recipe book which, anyone who is a fan of peanut butter should get as there are lots of lovely, unusual recipes inside. I just make a few of my own tweeks to make it how I like.

I make my  Thai Peanut Noodles with quorn as I am a vegetarian and it works out delicious as the quorn takes on all the peanutty flavour. My family who are all avid meat eaters also love it but, obviously feel free to put chicken in as that is what is in the recipe in the book anyway. This recipe is luscious, rich and creamy and I serve it alongside some stir fry, vegetable spring rolls and some egg noodles. It's delicious and smells lovely. 

Recipe

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 bag of quorn
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium red pepper
1 medium yellow pepper
450ml vegetable stock
4 1/2 tbsps. Peanut butter
2 tbsp. Soy sauce
2 tbsp. Honey
1 tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
5 spring onions
1 pack of fresh egg noodles
1 pack of stir fry
Stir fry sauce or soy sauce
Vegetable spring rolls

1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil over a medium-high heat and cook the peppers, ginger, garlic and spring onions, stirring occassionally until the peppers soften, about 5-7 minutes.



2. Add the quorn and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.



3. Add the vegetable stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey and vinegar. Cook, stirring frequently until sauce is thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.



4. Serve over or alongside hot noodles, stir fry and vegetable spring rolls. I use fresh egg noodles found in the vegetable isle of any supermarket and I also buy a shop-bought stir fry. This time I used ASDA's Water Chestnut and Bamboo shoot stir fry with the Spicy Cantonese style stir fry sauce which, was lovely. 3 for £3 on noodles, stir-fry and stir-fry sauce so not too bad. I'd like to maybe try and make my own stir fry and veggie spring rolls one day too. Maybe make my own noodles as well while I'm at it. I also actually used ASDA'S own chicken style vegetarian pieces this time as they had completely sold out of quorn and they were actually really yummy. They have more of a Tofu type texture than quorn but, it actually worked really well in this recipe and took on lots of flavour so it wasn't too bland with an unpleasant jelly-like texture which, tofu can sometimes have.



Lovely :).

Thankyou for reading!

Love Courts x

p.s sorry for this horrible highlighting, I accidently clicked it and now I have no idea how to turn it off :/.

No comments:

Post a Comment