Monday 26 November 2012

Veggie Sausage and Leek Pie.

 
Good afternoon! Who doesn't like pie right? Surely there's no one in this entire world that doesn't like pie. I do hope that's the case anyway. Pastry is so delicious. Last week I made a very yummy Veggie Sausage and Leek pie which, turned out really well so, I was very pleased as I had never made a pie before.

As Dad is at work currently, I thought I would just quickly pinch his laptop... again (he must find me very annoying at the moment), to do a quick recipe post of my Pie recipe as I haven't done one in what seems like forever. I just thought last week that with this horrible chilly, rainy weather we are having at the moment, there would be nothing better to have for tea than a nice, warming, hearty meal so, I made this lovely pie which I found the recipe for on the BBC Good Food website and I served it with some cauliflower cheese, roast vegetables, asparagus and chantenay carrots. I know how posh of me. I absoloutely adore asparagus at the moment.

The pie is normally not vegetarian but, as I am a vegetarian I made it using the Red onion and Rosemary Vegetarian Sausages by Linda McCartney which, worked perfectly in the dish but, ofcourse if you are not a veggie, feel free to use whatever sausages you wish.

There is another winter warmer on the menu tonight as I am making Vegetable Goulash and Chive Dumplings, nom. But, for now here is the lovely, and surprisingly cheap and easy to make, pie recipe.


Recipe

For The Pastry
                                        85g cold butter , chopped                                           
                175g plain flour           
                                                                                                         

For The Filling
450g good pork sausages (I used 
                                            10 veggie sausages)                                                  
2 large leeks , sliced and washed
25g butter
25g plain flour
300ml milk
2 tsp grainy mustard
handful of chopped parsley

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to fan 180C/ conventional 200C/ gas 6. Whizz butter and flour in a food processor. Add 2 tbsp. water and pulse to a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill.
  2. Heat the grill to high, brown the sausages for 5 minutes. Fry the leeks in the butter for 2- 3 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and stir in the milk. Season, add the mustard and bring to the boil, stirring.
  3. Cut each sausage into five at an angle and pile into a 1.2 litre dish. Stir the parsley into the leek sauce and pour over.
  4. Roll out the pastry and cut out a shape 2.5cm larger than the dish.Re-roll trimmings to make a 2.5cm strip. Brush the rim of the dish with water and lay the strip on top. Lift the rest on top, press to seal and crimp edges. Bake for 25 minutes. (I added 3 simple pastry leaves for decoration instead.)
 
Serve with whatever accompaniments you like whether, it be chips, peas and gravy or fresh vegetables. I served mine with some roast red and yellow peppers, red onion and courgette, as well as some cauliflower cheese, steamed chantenay carrots and a few asparagus spears. Yum.



Thankyou for reading!

Love Courts x

No comments:

Post a Comment